Actual card design may vary
This is a representative example only. Interest rates and credit limits may vary depending on your individual circumstances.
To keep your promotional rate you must pay at least the minimum payment by the due date and stay within your credit limit.
Applying for your Sainsbury's Nectar Credit Card will only take a few minutes. So that we can assess your application correctly it is important that you provide your Nectar card number when you apply.
Please ensure this product suits your needs and you have considered that it is the right product for you.
To be eligible you must:
To speed your application along, be sure to have the following to hand when applying:
*When you pay with your Sainsbury's Nectar Credit Card and swipe your Nectar card. Excludes Travel Money purchases.
New Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card customers only. If you are an existing credit card customer, please call us on 0500 40 50 60 to discuss your options.
As we treat all our customers and their applications on an individual basis, the APR and the interest rate we offer are determined by the details you supply, along with an independent verification of credit and repayment history. For the first 15 months from account opening you will get 0% on purchases. You will also get 0% for the first 15 months from account opening on balance transfers (a fee of 3% applies for each balance transfer). Thereafter, your personal APR will be either 16.9% APR (variable), 19.9% APR (variable), or 22.9% APR (variable). At least 51% of customers are offered our best and representative rate of 16.9% APR (variable). Well let you know your interest rate as soon as weve assessed your application.
Sainsbury's Nectar Credit Card Nectar point conditions: 2 Nectar points are earned on each full £1 of each separate shopping and fuel transaction at Sainsbury's. Excludes all bonus points offers and points from Sainsbury's Telecoms and Energy, which will be treated as non-Sainsbury's purchases. For non-Sainsbury's purchases 1 Nectar point is earned on each full £5 of each separate transaction. Nectar points may take up to 6 weeks to appear on your account. Travel Money purchases are not eligible for points. Nectar points are awarded to you by Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd and Sainsbury's Bank plc, who reserve the right to alter or terminate the Nectar point offer at any time, but will give as much notice as is reasonably possible before doing so. The Nectar loyalty programme is operated independently of Sainsbury's Bank by Aimia Coalition Loyalty UK Ltd, and the collection and use of points is governed by the Nectar Collector Rules, which are set out in the registration pack and are also available on nectar.com Telephone calls are free from a landline only and may be recorded for security purposes and monitored under quality control procedures.
Credit available subject to status to UK residents aged 18 or over from Sainsbury's Bank plc, Pitreavie Business Park, Dunfermline, Fife, KY99 4BS. Sainsbury's Finance is a trading name of Sainsbury's Bank plc. Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd is an appointed representative of Sainsbury's Bank plc. Sainsbury's Bank plc, Registered Office, 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT (registered in England and Wales, no. 3279730) is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (register no. 184514), except for Credit Cards & Loans where we are licensed by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) licence no. 421897.