Nectar.com is committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability. We are actively working to increase the accessibility and usability of our website and in doing so adhere to many of the available standards and guidelines.
We believe an accessible site is one that is available to as many users as possible regardless of their abilities or the method they choose to access the Nectar.com website.
We are continually seeking out solutions that will bring all areas of the site up to the same level of overall web accessibility. In the meantime should you experience any difficulty in accessing any part of the Nectar.com website, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Guidelines and standards
To ensure that this happens, we have programmed our website following published web standards and accessibility guidelines. The site is developed using XHTML and cascading style sheets (CSS). Our site uses structural markup, and content is separated from presentational elements.
We try to maintain WAI Level A and AA accessibility as well as meet some AAA guidelines where possible but recognise it is difficult to maintain such compliance across every page of our website. Through further development of the website we investigate areas we can improve and bring to the same level of accessibility as well as improve overall experience based on user testing and research.
Some of the features we have implanted that you may find useful:
- Skip to content links are provided at the top of every page and are visible to screen readers to allow users to skip the site navigation.
- Images have alt text describing to the user what they are if they are unable to see the image. We do not provide this for images that are solely used for decorative purposes.
- Links have additional descriptions provided in the title attribute, visible when the user hovers over a link, to provide additional information about the target destination and the page content.
- Links that open a new browser window are indicated by additional text in the title attribute '(Link opens in a new window)'.
We have implemented the site to use relative text sizing to allow users to control the size of the text using standard browser features:
- PC / Internet Explorer 6 - From the top menu bar, select View and point to Text size
- PC / Internet Explorer 7 - From the menu bar underneath the search field, select Page and point to Text size
- PC / other browsers - Increase text size: Hold down the CTRL key and press + Decrease text size: Hold down the CTRL key and press -
- Mac / all browsers - Increase text size: Hold down the Command key and press + Decrease text size: Hold down the Command key and press -
As some assistive technology tools such as the IBM HomePage Reader and WindowEyes already make use of the alt+[access key] combination, we have chosen not to implement access key shortcuts on the Nectar.com website. The site has been structured in a way that users should be able to navigate the site in a logical manner by simply tabbing thorough the content using solely a keyboard.
Visitors using recent versions of screen readers can navigate using the following keystrokes:
- H to cycle forwards through the headings
- Shift + H to cycle backwards through the headings
- 1 to navigate to the next level 1 heading (or a number between 1 and 6 to navigate to the next heading on this level)
- Shift + 1 to navigate to the previous level 1 heading (or a number between 1 and 6 to navigate to the previous heading on this level)
- INSERT + F6 to provide a list of all headings
Also, the Opera browser includes keyboard navigation that is helpful to visitors with motor difficulties. The following keys can be used to navigate headings:
- S to cycle forwards through the headings
- W to cycle backwards through the headings
Although the website has been designed and coded to be accessible on any medium the Collector chooses to access the information, the optimum screen resolution is 1024 x768 pixels and has also been tested using the following browsers.
- Internet Explorer 7 and above
- Safari 5.1 and above
- Firefox 3.6 and above
- Safari 5.1 and above
- Firefox 3.6 and above
Whilst Nectar.com is committed to adhere to the accepted guidelines and standards for accessibility and usability, we are aware, and regret, that our website does not currently comply with many WCAG requirements, in all areas of the site. This includes 3rd party content that may feature on our website, and our partner sites www.nectarmusicclub.com and www.nectarwineclub.com. However we do have a continual programme of improvement during which we endeavour to improve level of accessibility and the Collectors experience. We are dedicated to complying with current web standards and best practices.
Additional services for collectors with specific requirements
The Nectar Helpline is available through BT/RNID TypeTalk. For Collectors that are blind or partially sighted, please call the Nectar Helpline on 0344 811 0811 to request the following:
- Terms and conditions and regular points updates in large print
- Terms and conditions and points updates in Braille
We regret we're unable to offer our registration form in Braille. If you require any further assistance, please contact us through the most appropriate channel for you.